BRENT P. FORESTER, MD
- Harvard title(s): Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- McLean title(s): Director Mood Disorders Division, Geriatric Psychiatry Research Program and Site Director, Harvard Medical School Psychiatry Core Clerkship, McLean Hospital
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: (617) 855-3622
- Fax: (617) 855-3246
- Office Address: South Belknap 308
- 1988 BA Dartmouth College
- 1992 MD Dartmouth Medical School
- 1995-1996 Chief Resident, Adult Psychiatry, The McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA
- 1993-1996 Resident in Adult Psychiatry, The McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA
- 1992-1993 Intern in Medicine, The Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 1997 Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Geriatric Psychiatry
- Board Certifications(s):
- 2008 American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, Geriatric Psychiatry, Recertification
- 2007 American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, Psychiatry, Recertification
- 1998 American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, Geriatric Psychiatry
- 1997 American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, Psychiatry
- 1996- New Hampshire License Registration
- 1994- Massachusetts License Registration
- Clinical Interests: Geriatric Psychiatry: Late Life Depression, Alzheimer's Disease and related disorders, Geriatric Bipolar Disorder
Dr. Forester graduated from Dartmouth Medical School in 1992 as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed an internship in internal medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital and a residency in psychiatry at McLean Hospital. Following this he completed a fellowship in geriatric psychiatry at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. He served as the Medical Director of the Geriatric Neuropsychiatry Unit at McLean Hospital from September 2002 through June 2007. In June 2009, he completed a Masters of Science degree through the joint Harvard - MIT Clinician Investigator Training Program.
Dr. Forester has been a principal investigator in a number of research projects, including clinical psychopharmacology trials in bipolar disorder, geriatric depression, and the management of agitation in patients with dementia. Upon returning to McLean Hospital in 2002, he began collaborating with the McLean Brain Imaging Center and is now conducting studies utilizing magnetic resonance spectroscopy to study markers of energy metabolism in late life depression and bipolar disorder. In 2009, he received an NIMH K23 career development award for a project studying bioenergetic metabolism using MR Spectroscopy in geriatric bipolar depression.
Dr. Forester is currently the incoming Chair of the Teaching and Training Committee and a member of the Board of Directors of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Alzheimer's Association for Massachusetts and New Hampshire since July 2009. Dr. Forester is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
Dr. Forester has published a number of articles and book chapters on topics such as geriatric bipolar disorder, brain lithium levels and effects on cognition and mood in geriatric bipolar disorder, the behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia, and late life psychosis.
- Curriculum vitæ: (PDF format)
- Publications: (Selected)
- Forester BP, Streeter CC, Berlow YA, Tian H, Wardrop M, Finn CT, Harper D, Renshaw PF, Moore CM. Brain Lithium Levels and Effects on Cognition and Mood in Geriatric Bipolar Disorder. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2009;17(1):13-23. PMID: 18626002
- Forester BP, Finn CT, Berlow YA, Wardrop M, Renshaw PF, Moore CM. Brain lithium, N-acetyl aspartate (NAA) and myo-Inositol (m-Ino) levels in Older Adults with Bipolar Disorder Treated with Lithium: A Lithium-7 and Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. Bipolar Disorders 2008;10(6):691-700. PMID: 18837863
- Forester BP, Harper DG, Jensen JE, Ravichandran C, Jordan B, Renshaw PF, Cohen BM. 31Phosphorus Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study of Tissue Specific Changes in High Energy Phosphates Before and After Sertraline Treatment of Geriatric Depression. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2009; 24(8):788-97. PMID: 19382284
- Forester BP, Berlow YA, Jensen JE, Cooper TM, Iosifescu DV, Lukas SE, Renshaw PF, Cohen BM. Age-related changes in brain energetics and phospholipid metabolism. NMR in Biomedicine. 2010; 23(3): 242-50. PMID: 19908224
- Forester BP, Zuo CS, Ravichandran C, Harper DG, Du F, Kim S, Jensen JE, Cohen BM, Renshaw PF. CoEnzyme Q10 effects on Creatine Kinase Activity and Mood in Geriatric Bipolar Depression. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 2012. 25(2):128. PMID: 22467846
- Links: Interview with Dr. Forester