DAVID MICHAEL PENETAR, PHD
- Harvard title(s): Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- McLean title(s): Research Psychologist
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 617-855-2913
- Fax: 617-855-3711
- Office Address: Neuroimaging Center, room 112
David M. Penetar, Ph.D., received his doctorate in Psychopharmacology from the University of Minnesota. He is trained in animal behavioral techniques and, in humans, the analysis of both cognitive performance and subjective effects through the use of computerized assessment batteries. At McLean Hospital he is engaged in a research program to develop medications for the treatment of substance abuse. This human use work involves the laboratory and outpatient assessment of medications for their ability to reduce cravings, block the physiological effects, and ultimately reduce use of psychoactive addictive drugs.
- Lukas SE, Penetar D, Berko J, Vicens L, Palmer C, Mallya G, Macklin E, Lee DYW. An extract of the Chinese herbal root, kudzu, reduces alcohol drinking by heavy drinkers in a naturalistic setting. Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research, 2005, 29: 756-762.
- Penetar DM, Kouri EM, Gross MM, McCarthy EM, Rhee CK, Peters EN, Lukas SE. Transdermal nicotine alters some of marihuana's effects in male and female volunteers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2005, 79: 211-223.
- Hopper JW, Su Z, Looby AR, Ryan ET, Penetar DM, Palmer CM, Lukas SE. Incidence and patterns of polydrug use and craving for ecstasy in regular ecstasy users: An ecological momentary assessment study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2006, 85: 221-235
- Penetar D, Teter C, Ma, Z, Tracy M, Lee DY-W, Lukas SE. Pharmacokinetic profile of the isoflavones puerarin after acute and repeated administration of a novel kudzu extract to human volunteers. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2006, 12: 543-548.
- Penetar DM, Looby AR, Su Z, Lundahl LH, Eros-Sarnyai M, McNeil JF, Lukas SE. Benztropine pretreatment does not affect responses to acute cocaine administration in human volunteers. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 2006, 21: 549-559.
- Penetar DM, McNeil JF, Ryan, ET, Lukas SE. Comparison among plasma, serum, and whole blood ethanol concentrations: Impact of storage conditions and collection tubes. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 2008, 32: 505-510.
- Licata S, Penetar D, Dunlap S, Lukas SE. A therapeutic dose of zolpidem has limited abuse-like effects in drug-naive females: A pilot study. European Journal of Pharmacology, 2008, 598: 64-67.
- Licata SC, Jensen JE, Penetar DM, Lukas SE, Renshaw PF. A therapeutic dose of zolpidem reduces thalamic GABA in healthy volunteers: A proton MRS study at 4 Tesla. Psychopharmacology, 2009, in press.
- Penetar DM, Kouri EM, McCarthy EM, Lilly MM, Peters EN, Juliano TM, Lukas SE. Nicotine pretreatment increases dysphoric effects of alcohol in luteal-phase female volunteers. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2009, 6: 526-546.