MAILMAN RESEARCH CENTER
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center
A brain tissue slide
The Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center, or "The Brainbank," was established at McLean Hospital as a centralized, federally funded resource for the collection and distribution of human brain specimens for research. It is one of only three such centers in the country and the only designated acquisition center.
The tissue gathered by the Brainbank provides a critical resource for scientists worldwide in their investigations into the functioning of the nervous system and the evolution of many psychiatric diseases. Over the past decade research has shown that the study of human brain tissue is essential to increasing our understanding of how the nervous system functions.
This lab has its own website here.
- Francine M. Benes, M.D., Ph.D., - Director, Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center (e-mail)
- Wilson Woo, M.D., Ph.D. Associate Director (e-mail)
- John C. Hedreen, M.D. - Associate Director, Neuropathology (e-mail)
- Timothy Wheelock - Assistant Director, Neuropathology (e-mail)
- Tameka Moore, M.P.H. - Assistant Director, Tissue Processing (email)
- Louis Fernandes - Senior Dissectionist (e-mail)
- Maureen Medeiros - Administrative Manager (e-mail)
- Joseph A. Manzo - Donation Coordinator (e-mail)
- Marina R. Buchanan - Administrative Secretary (e-mail)
- David J. Ennulat, Ph.D., Database/Network Manager (e-mail)
External Scientific Advisory Board
- Joseph T. Coyle, M.D. - Senior Consultant
- Anne B. Young, M.D., Ph.D. - Senior Consultant
- M. Flint Beal, M.D.
- William E. Bunney, Jr., M.D.
- Marie-Francoise Chesselet, M.D., Ph.D.
- Carl M. Leventhal, M.D.
- Carol A. Tamminga, M.D.
- John Q. Trojanowski, M.D., Ph.D.
- Stanley J. Watson, Ph.D., M.D.